Generally, starting a nonprofit involves taking some or all of the following steps:
- File articles of incorporation with the Secretary of State
- Convene a meeting of the board at which by-laws are adopted
- Apply to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for Federal, tax-exempt status
- Obtain any required municipal or State operating permits/licenses
- Register a DBA (Doing Business As) name with the County
- Register with the State Comptroller's Office to receive exemption from State taxes
It is important to have your application for tax-exempt status and other legal documents reviewed by an attorney. Reading the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page at the Office of the Texas Secretary of State is also recommended.